Sunday 19 August 2012

Alcohol licence for buying alcohol in Mumbai

I had heard the rumours for a while - the fact that you needed a licence to buy alcohol in Mumbai - but I had dismissed them as being surely an urban myth.  The other day though, I was ordering a simple Kingfisher beer at the Breach Candy Club, when the waiter asked to see my Alcohol Licence.  I stayed calm and managed to palm him off with my driving licence and an additional food order.

Having now investigated, i can confirm that this is no urban myth - under the 1949 Bombay Prohibition Act, a licence is required for all purchase, possession and consumption of alcohol in the state of Maharastra.  Quite clearly this is a ridiculous law which serves only the police, who can use this as another excuse to ask for a bribe.  This will serve nicely as the first of no doubt innumerable rules that should be repealed and make India just that little bit freer.

No comments:

Post a Comment